Environmental Charity Keep Britain Tidy have announced the winners of their prestigious Blue Flag and Seaside Awards for summer 2023, presenting 146 beaches in England with awards for quality, management and facilities available.
The Blue Flag and Seaside Awards are designed to offer visitors assurance that the beaches awarded are clean, safe and meet the highest environmental standards including litter and waste, as well as international bathing water quality standards.
The Blue Flag is an international award managed by Keep Britain Tidy on behalf of the Foundation for Environmental Education. It is the world’s most recognised award for beaches and marinas and to qualify, each applicant must meet and maintain a series of stringent environmental, educational, safety and accessibility criteria.
- 77 beaches awarded the Blue Flag Award.
- Sandbanks in Poole and Oddicombe in Torbay, Devon have won the Blue Flag Award every year since it was launched 36 years ago.
- The Royal Albert Dock and Salthouse Dock in Liverpool was also awarded a Blue Flag Award.
- 128 beaches received Seaside Awards and 59 received both Blue Flag and Seaside Awards.
- Summerleaze in Cornwall and Beer in East Devon were Blue Flag winners for the first time.
- Allonby beach in Cumbria won a Seaside Award for the first time.
Congratulations to all the winners and the collective efforts of beach managers, volunteers, residents and businesses that contribute to the success of these beaches. Full list of the award winners can be found here.
Here at Leafield we have had the opportunity to work with Blue Flag winners Exmouth and Sidmouth, who currently have our Heritage XL litter bins located across the coastline to keep the area clean. In addition, Leafield’s Pioneer litter bins are helping Blue Flag and Seaside award winner Swanage meet the highest environmental litter and waste standards.
For more information on Leafield’s litter bins for coastal towns call Leafield Environmental on 01225 816541, email [email protected] or visit www.leafieldrecycle.com